Summer is a time for soaking up the long days and filling up the bank of outdoor time.
For me, this often means less interest in cooking. Instead, I crave fresh, easy and brightly flavored salads. Here are some of our favorites.
It also means balancing those cravings for light, fresh meals with needing to feel satisfied. I hate that feeling after just having a "light" meal, and then going around not-quite satisfied, spending too much time staring into the fridge wondering what else I want. I'd rather fuel up to begin with, then move on to relishing the soft summer evenings.
You know what I mean?
I love this salad recipe because it's SO quick & easy, but also hearty enough to be fully satisfying.
The egg-less version of the caesar dressing, makes it a cinch to blend up. For a simple, balanced weeknight meal, I grill some chicken (or buy a rotisserie chicken) to slice on top.
I also like to set aside some of the dressing and bring the salad for next-day lunch. You can also double-up on the chickpeas so you have them around for healthy-munching.
Hope this salad fuels your summer nights!
Love & Zest,
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into thin ribbons
- 4 cups kale, shredded and de-stemmed
Parmesan "Caesar" Dressing:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Dry chickpeas between two paper towels
- Toss chickpeas in a bowl with olive oil and spices, mix well.
- Spread out in single layer on a baking sheet, then bake chickpeas for 20 min on first side without stirring and remove from oven once golden-brown and crispy.
- While chickpeas roast, toss dressing ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until well mixed and desired consistency.
- Mix romaine and kale in large bowl, toss thoroughly with dressing, then garnish with chickpeas and additional shredded parmesan if desired.