It doesn't have to take a lot of ingredients or a lot of time to make a delicious weeknight dinner. This recipe uses a total of 7 items and, if you batch cook the farro (or brown rice) and tofu ahead of time, it only takes 10 minutes to make.
Not a tofu fan? This recipe might just change your mind! If you are adamant about not eating tofu, substitute it with chicken breast for a meat eaters version.
Hope it is as big of a hit in your household as it was in ours :)
Sweet Garlic Tofu & Broccoli
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup farro, uncooked (brown rice, quinoa, or other whole grain works too)
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- optional: green onion and sesame seeds for garnish
- For the tofu: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wrap tofu in paper towels and set a heavy book on top for 15 minutes to press out extra water.
- Cut tofu into 1" cubes & toss in olive oil. Place cubes on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip cubes and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- NOTE: This can be done ahead of time. Store baked tofu in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- For the farro:
- Bring 1 cup farro to a boil with 3 cups water.
- Lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- NOTE: This step can be done ahead of time as well. Grains keep well in the fridge for 7-10 days.
- For the broccoli:
- Steam broccoli for ~5 minutes, just until it starts to get it's bright green color. You want it to be crisp, not mushy.
- For the sauce:
- Whisk coconut sugar, soy sauce and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat for ~5 min, until coconut sugar is dissolved.
- Making your bowl:
- Toss half of the sauce with the tofu.
- Dish farro into bowls, then add broccoli and saucy tofu.
- Pour remaining sauce over top of the bowls, then garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
- NOTE: This recipe served two in our home (we have big appetites). It could easily serve four depending on who you are feeding.
Do you or someone you know suffer from allergies or auto-immune disease? Nutrition during infancy may play a large role in the development of these health outcomes. Learn more in our latest blog post.
Kid-friendly Summer snacks at your fingertips! Let the good times roll!
Food is one of the few things in life that can bring you pure, unadulterated pleasure.
This is one of the many reasons why Eat With Zest veers away from counting calories or reducing food to its grams of fat and carbs. Focusing on these numbers robs you of the opportunity to focus on what truly makes YOU feel good.
Imagine thinking of food not in terms of “good” or “bad”; “allowed” or “not-allowed”, but instead in terms of an opportunity for more joy.
You have 100% unconditional permission to eat whenever you want, just for the joy of it.
This is one of the greatest journeys I have ever been on. I hope you'll join me :)
Here’s the thing about breakfast, it really, truly is the most important meal of the day.
What’s more, study after study has shown that a protein-packed breakfast steadies your metabolism and appetite throughout the day. This means that if you start your day right, you’re less likely to come home from work and have an uncontrollable snack attack. It also means eating a hearty breakfast makes it easier to control your weight.
What’s a girl to do? Eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking up.
Whether your goal is weight loss, building strength, recovery from illness or overall optimal health, we don't recommend calorie counting. Here's why.
What happens when the Meal Plans stop? This week I challenge you to call a few audibles in the Nutrition Bootcamp Meal Plan. Find out why and how!
There are some basic nutrition principles that can support us all, like choosing real food that is minimally processed and nutrient dense. (Check out our Nutrition For You blog for more specifics on how we teach women to fuel.) Delicious, whole foods, prepared simply, is the backbone for the 28-Day Nutrition Bootcamp. Beyond that, you set your intention to make this Bootcamp serve you.
We have the steps to help you get exactly what you want this year. It all starts with your intentions. Read on and get what's yours in 2017!
Stress, especially around the holidays, is a big deal. Everyone's talking about it.
But what if, viewing your stress as bad and something to get rid of is just a story that's no longer serving you? What if you can rewrite that story?
The reality is, stress means you give a shit. Stress means you're living a full-hearted life. Follow these steps to take that stress and make it serve you.