I made this chicken stew a few weeks ago for a small dinner party. It was a hit (and made awesome leftovers for the rest of the week) and so easy to make, so I had to share! It makes for a super quick & nourishing weeknight dinner.
If you don't have a slow cooker, it's high time to remedy that! You don't have to get one that's expensive or fancy. I use a super simple slow cooker and I cannot say enough about how much easier it makes my life! Especially this time of year when I'm craving hot soups and braised meats, a slow cooker is a must have.
Many similar recipes call for marinating and browning the chicken or sauteing the vegetables before adding them to the slow cooker. You can certainly take any of those steps and it will only add more flavor. The purpose of this blog is to show you how easy it can be to make good food, so there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple - it's still delish!
This chicken stew is sweet & warming from the cinnamon and dried apricots, perfect for a frosty fall day. It's also got delicious butternut squash, making it a balanced one-pot meal to feed the family.
Serve over brown rice, whole grain couscous or quinoa!
I hope you love it!
Pistachio-Apricot Chicken Stew
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cubed winter squash, butternut (Trader Joe's sells pre-peeled & cubed winter squash! )
- 1 cup chicken stock + 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger (use fresh, grated ginger if you prefer!)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tsp salt (you may need to add more, depending on how much salt is in the chicken stock you use. Be sure to taste before serving and adjust salt level as needed)
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Toss all ingredients into the slow cooker except the cilantro & pistachios.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for ~3 hours or on low for ~5-6 hours. (The beauty of a slow cooker meal is that it's pretty hard to overcook it. If I was leaving for work, I wouldn't hesitate to leave it on low for 8 + hours).
- Garnish with pistachios & fresh cilantro to serve.