Pumpkin, a kind of winter squash, is packed full of antioxidants (beta carotene gives it its deep orange hue) and it's yummy. I mean, I challenge you to name one thing in life better than a mouthful of pumpkin pie!
These balls were inspired first by my love of pumpkin pie (and not having had nearly enough by the time Thanksgiving came and went), and second by all of you requesting easy, nourishing snacks to take on-the-run.
These balls are SO easy! Did I mention, they're no-bake? They also travel well and provide a serious boost of energy to combat that 3 p.m. slump. Plus, all the fiber from the oats, nuts and pumpkin will keep you satisfied.
Oh, and don't let me forget, they literally taste like blissful bites of pumpkin pie. WIN!
Hope you love 'em!
PS These no bake cookies are naturally gluten free. Why should you care? Check out Should You Go Gluten Free?
Happy holidays to you and yours!
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
- 2 cups dry, uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup all-natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup small pecan pieces
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor until well combined (don't overdo it - some chunks are good!)
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. With a spoon or cookie scoop, scoop the mixture then roll it into ~ 1" balls. (If mixture is still too tacky and sticking to your hands, return to fridge for another 30 min., then try again. As the oats absorb the moisture, the dough will become easier to roll).
- That's it! Balls are best if stored in the fridge or even frozen!