Have you tried overnight oats yet?!?
If not, get ready to revolutionize your breakfast. Why do we love them so much?
Here are just a few reasons:
- They are indulgently delicious.
- They make for a super healthy breakfast, with the perfect balance of satisfying fiber, lean protein and energizing antioxidants.
- They make mornings ridiculously easy. If you prep a few (I do 5 at a time), then morning routine is as easy as grabbing the jar and jetting out the door (don't forget your spoon).
In case any of you are stalling to get on the overnight oats train, I thought it's about to explain how to make them so you see just how easy it is.
8 steps to breakfast made easy:
- Line up your wide-mouth mason jars (you don't have to use these, any tupperware will do, but they sure do make life easy... and they're pretty :)
- Start with 1/2 cup dry, rolled oats (skip the instant oats and use the real thing).
- Add a splash of your favorite milk variation (e.g. unsweetened almond or organic whole milk). Just enough to get the oats wet.
- Add 1 cup plain yogurt or kefir.
- Pack in as much fresh or frozen fruit as will fit in the jar.
- Sprinkle on something crunchy, like nuts, seeds or coconut flakes.
- Optional: drizzle the top with a teaspoon of sweetness, like honey or maple syrup.
- Let sit overnight and wake up to an energizing breakfast ready to go. Boom.
No reason not to get crazy efficient and make a week's worth at a time. They will last at least a week in your fridge.
- TROPICAL: Mango, pineapple & strawberry with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
- GINGER PEACH: Peaches, fresh ginger (grated), a crumble of walnuts and a drizzle of honey.
- SUPER BERRY: Mixed berries (cherries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) with roasted almonds.
- KIWI STRAWBERRY: Kiwis & strawberries with chia seeds.
- PB&J: Instead of fruit, add a teaspoon of fruit-sweetened jam & 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut or almond butter. Serious Yum!
Play around with your favorite flavors. You can add spices like cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice or vanilla extract.
Have a favorite overnight oats combo? Share with us in the comments below!
Here's to hearty breakfasts and energized days!
Love & Zest,