Recently my work travel has picked up, which means I am always in the market for healthy snacks on-the-go. Lately, I have become obsessed with Flackers, Organic Flax Seed Crackers. To note: We have no affiliation with this company, I am just truly digging them right now ;)
After reading the ingredients and realizing I had a cupboard full of flaxseed at home, I figured I could probably make some for myself. Turns out, I absolutely could and it was easier than ever! My first attempt is a slightly sweet cinnamon version, but next up I will be experimenting with a savory herb variety! Keep following the blog for another post on this down the road.
- 1.5 cups whole flaxseed
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- Mix flaxseed with water in a large bowl and allow to sit for 30-45 minutes. The flaxseed will start to swell with water to form a gel-like consistency.
- While flaxseeds are soaking, pre-heat oven to 170 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After flaxseed has soaked, stir in cinnamon, maple syrup and sea salt.
- Spread mixture evenly onto baking sheet, all the way to the edges and corners.
- Bake for about 8 hours (I let them bake overnight and they were ready in the morning).
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, then break into crackers.
- Store in Ziploc baggies and they will keep for several weeks.