You want to know the secret to detoxing???
Eat REAL food! Choose whole, nutrient-dense ingredients that energize you. Start with this and you will be more inclined to move your body, get sweaty and re-fuel with more wholesome ingredients. Before you know it, you will be in a vicious cycle of healthy living that perpetuates itself without much effort from you. Believe it or not, our bodies and minds want to feel good! But it starts with what we put in them.
I recently had an AMAZING trip to Hawaii, living off fish tacos, tropical cocktails and lots of yoga. Not a bad combination ;) But when I arrived home I was craving greens and routine. I think we all know the post-vacation feeling of getting back to business after a good reset. This is how I came up with this lean green soup recipe that tastes like pesto and packs a mean punch of both protein and fiber! It catapulted back into real life with energy, ease and deliciousness!
Bonus: It tastes like pesto and the whole recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of olive oil! Score!
Broccoli Basil Detox Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups spinach, raw
- 4 cups basil, fresh
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Optional: crunchy chickpeas for serving
- In a large pot on the stovetop, heat olive oil and garlic over medium high heat.
- Once garlic starts to brown and become aromatic, add onion and continue to sauté until onions start to become tender.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and veggie broth to pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for ~5-10 minutes, or until broccoli and cauliflower become tender but not overcooked.
- Stir in spinach, basil, garbanzo beans, avocado and salt.
- Use immersion blender to combine into a uniform texture. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can transfer contents of pot to a blender and blend.
- Serve hot with crunchy chickpeas instead of croutons for an extra hit of protein and fiber.
Note: This recipe makes 12 cups total. Each 2 cup serving has 10 grams of protein and 20 grams of fiber! This is the lean green soup machine :)
Do you have go-to "detox" foods! Please share in comments below!