Magic happened in my kitchen this morning and I'm seriously excited to share it with you! If you know me or have been following the Zest blog, you probably know dessert for breakfast is my claim to fame. On weekday mornings I need quick & easy solutions that can transition me from workout to work day. You feel me? I know you do.
Life is busy but that doesn't mean we have to sacrifice enjoyment in the things that make us feel satisfied and energized. On the contrary, when we find ways to fuel ourselves with foods we love, but are also nourishing & easy, we have WAY more time and energy to squeeze the most out of the things that keep us busy in life... like our kids, our jobs, our social lives, our workouts, etc. And who doesn't want to feel more energized to enjoy those things?!
OK, OK, lets get to the good stuff. We had lots of leftover bananas from our AWESOME Burn Mama event at Burn Cycle on Sunday so I had no choice but to put them to use. This morning, after a sweaty hour of yoga I came home ready for breakfast and within 5 minutes had this banana bread on a plate, ready to eat!
What's the catch? I used the microwave. You heard me. SO EASY! In fact, it was so quick, I made up another one to have on hand for breakfast tomorrow after I hit a Burn Cycle class. Boom!
Hope you find this as delicious and satisfying as I do!
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- drizzle of honey for more sweetness
- dash cinnamon or splash vanilla extract for an added flavor boost
- spoonful of cocoa powder to make a chocolate version
- Mash banana with fork in a flat bottomed bowl. (Or any bowl will work).
- Whisk egg with banana mash.
- Add oats, chia seeds, baking powder and any optional ingredients.
- Mix it all together and microwave right in the mixing bowl for 3 minutes.
- Let cool for 1 minute, then flip onto a plate or enjoy right out of the bowl!
- Top with Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey
- Slice more bananas on top and serve with maple syrup
- Spread with peanut butter or chocolate PB2
- Go crazy! Serve it however you want!