Sweetened with honey. An entirely whole wheat crust means no refined grains. Packed with protein from a yogurt base. Indulge.
As always, baking up desserts healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
And that is exactly what I did today. Pie and coffee for breakfast. I am one happy and nourished girl this morning.
Lemon Yogurt "Cream" Pie
For the Crust
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup softened coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Using a hand mixer, mix the flour, salt and oil together until you have good looking crumbs.
- Add water and continue to mix. If your crust is too crumbly, continue to add water until you get the right consistency.
- Press crust into a the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan. You might have some leftover crust depending on how thin you make it.
- Bake your crust at 450F for 10 minutes. Let cool before adding pie filling.
For the Homemade Lemon Curd
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Mix together eggs, honey and lemon zest in a nonstick saucepan or pot.
- Heat over low heat, then add coconut oil and continue to stir.
- Once melted, stir in the lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Let cool before adding to pie filling.
For the Filling
- 2 cups Greek yogurt (I used 2% Fage so I can't vouch for fat free yogurt)
- 1 1/2 cup homemade lemon curd (recipe above)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin
- 2 Tbsp water
- Mix together yogurt, lemon curd, honey and vanilla.
- Put the water and gelatin in a microwave safe bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Then microwave for 10 seconds until gelatin is dissolved and immediately whisk the hot gelatin into yogurt mixture.
- Pour into pie crust, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 6 hours to allow pie to set up.
- Add any toppings or garnish as desired and enjoy!
Notes: I garnished my pie with a few lemon slices, a sprinkle of shredded coconut and edible flowers. Berries would also make a great garnish for this pie!
Love & Zest <3