Anna and I are busy preparing for holiday parties and that means lots of delicious recipes are brewing in our kitchens!
This is the season for colorful, vibrant dishes, with lots of hearty flavor. If you are looking for something a little bit different but still so festive, this is a quick and easy dish to try.
Keep reading to the end of the post to see how you can turn this party dish into leftovers for lunch the next day :)
Wild Rice Persimmon Salad with Basil, Feta & Orange Cumin Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 4 cups wild rice, cooked
- 2 Fuyu persimmons
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- 8 oz feta
- 1/2 cup Orange Cumin Vinaigrette
For the Orange Cumin Vinaigrette: (makes ~1 cup)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook wild rice by brining 2 cups rice to a boil with 6 cups water on the stovetop. Reduce heat and simmer for ~40 minutes or until tender. Set aside and let cool.
- Chop basil and persimmons. NOTE: If you would like to place persimmons on top for presentation as pictured, cut a few slices across the middle of the fruit before chopping up the rest.
- Whisk together vinaigrette dressing ingredients.
- Stir basil, persimmons and feta into wild rice and toss with 1/2 cup vinaigrette.
- Add persimmon slices and some extra chopped basil to the top for presentation.
Optional: I didn't have any on hand but pomegranate seeds would be a great addition to sprinkle on top for an added pop of color to this dish!
If you are lucky, the entire dish won't get eaten up and you can use what's left to make a blow-your-mind kale salad for lunch the next day!
- Leftover wild rice salad
- Several handfuls of chopped kale
- Extra dressing from original batch
- Toss wile rice salad with kale and extra dressing.
- Transfer to tupperware for a transportable lunch!