Typically candied nuts are coated in butter and refined white sugar. This recipe uses egg white instead of butter and maple syrup & coconut sugar for sweetness.
So why do I like this holiday snack so much?
A handful of nuts before sitting down to a holiday meal provides a punch of protein, fiber and healthy fats, taming appetite and allowing more mindful eating once you arrive at the dinner table.
They also make great hostess gifts when packaged up in mason jars with a ribbon!
Sweet & Spicy Walnuts
- 4 cups walnut halves
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat walnuts in egg white and maple syrup.
- Stir together remaining ingredients and toss with walnut mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, option to stir halfway through.
- All to cool completely before storing. Flavors enhance once nuts have cooled and the crunch has set in.