Oh the ways I love curry! It is one of may favorite seasonings when cooking for guests - something about the word "curry" conveys exotic and laborious, veiling the reality of a quick sprinkle of spice and a one-pot meal. Boom.
Curry technically means a blend of spices - typically turmeric, coriander, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and many others. (Side note, the vibrant yellow comes from the turmeric root, which is also a serious immune system booster. In India, people commonly make a turmeric tea to stave off a cold - so cool!)
Ok, back on track...
I have done the whole toast and grind my own spices thing, and yes, it is amazing. But what is also amazing, is that we live in a world in which we can pick up a pre-toasted, ground and perfectly balanced curry powder in the store, throw it on our food and call it good. The best part, is that it is so good.
This recipe was inspired by my obsession with delicious one-pot meals, curry and my favorite winter squash, the sweet and mighty delicata (pictured below).
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large cubed squash (smaller pieces will cook faster)
- ½ sweet white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- pinch of red chili flakes
- ½ cup uncooked lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes (with the liquid)
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
1. The most time intensive part of this recipe is the squash chopping. I never peel - the cooked squash peel becomes tender and adds extra fiber. One less step, is fine with me. (I often chop squash, onion, garlic, etc. on batch-cooking Sundays, so I can get home from work throw it in the skillet and then kickback.)
2. After the chopping, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat for ~2-3 minutes, until aromatic and slightly translucent
3. Toss in the tomatoes, lentils, spices and vegetable broth 4. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for about 30 minutes, or until lentils and squash are soft and most of the liquid has cooked off
5. Garnish with fresh cilantro to serve
Zest is dedicated to making healthy living easy for busy, active women. If you have tips & tricks to make fueling your life quicker and easier, please share with a comment on this blog! We love to hear from you!